Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Science Themes: Old & New

February was SUCH a busy month with many major events:  the 100th day of school, Valentine's Day, a Superkids dress up day, and a trip to KVR!  With all of this going on, its been hard for me to keep up with my blog posts.  I apologize and I will try to do a better job in March!

During the month of February, our Kindergarten/First Grade Multi-age Theme Groups were busy learning about different animal groups and how animals are classified.  The "Frogs" spent their time with me, while "Turtles" learned with Ms. G.  (You'll have to ask your Kindergartner which group they are in)  Below are some pictures of both Kindergartners and 1st Graders that worked in my room researching and recording characteristics that each animal group has and drawing pictures of animals that belong to each group to create their own animal book.










Monday was our last day working on classifying animals.  Today, we started our new theme:  Dinosaurs!  The children learned about Paleontologists who study dinosaurs and then they got to practice carefully extracting "fossils" (chocolate chips) from their cookies using "tools" (toothpicks and paintbrushes) just like a Paleontologist would do when recovering fossils that have been buried for thousands of years!





I think Ashley certainly has the skills and patience for the job! 

No comments:

Post a Comment


About The Teacher

My name is Heather Horton. This is my 5th year teaching at LaFarge Public Schools. I taught two years of Four-Year-Old Kindergarten & Early Childhood Special Education, followed by two years teaching Kindergarten. I am married and have a gorgeous little girl, who will turn two in January. We are expecting our second child at the end of September. I live next door to my parents, about forty minutes from LaFarge. The long commute is totally worth it! Not only do I get to see my family whenever I want, I also get to teach in a wonderful, supportive community with amazing children, families & co-workers!